Welcome to the only scientifically and professionally designed sight test for computer users on the Internet. Patent No. 2267159. VutestTM analyses your ability to see comfortably and to use your eyes correctly whilst using a computer.
Quick, Easy & Accurate
Developed by optometrists, vision scientists and programmers at EyeLab (UK) Ltd. In 1991, VutestTM complies with current EEC Regulations, EYES AND EYESIGHT implemented for the protection of VDU operator’s eyesight. VutestTM is easy to follow and we hope, enjoyable to perform and should take about 5 minutes to complete.
EyeLab Sight Tests are ONLY valid, reliable and accurate if carried out using a computer with a minimum screen size of 15”.
Vutest is the creation of EyeLab, a company committed to ocular research and the development of sight testing and ophthalmic equipment for more than a century.
Since the 1920’s unique binocular vision sight testing systems have evolved at the Northampton base of EyeLab Ltd with the introduction of Infinity Balance eye examinations developed by the founder of the company A. E. Turville OBE
‘Vutest’ is a quick, inexpensive and efficient way to detect warning signs that may need professional advice and help.
Tests are purchased in advance and cost just £1 per student ex VAT. At anytime users are able to download a password protected database file of all their students tests.
The EEC Regulations 1992, Reg. 5 ‘EYES AND EYESIGHT’ were implemented to safeguard the eyesight of all employed computer users.
- Eliminating unnecessary eye examinations while providing full protection.
- Minimises user’s work schedule.
- Used by Personnel Officers, Health & Safety Staff Occupational Health Departments or other responsible people.
- Operators can be tested in their actual environment in which they work.
- Costs less than sending everyone to an optometrist.
- Places less demand on the time of those responsible for staff welfare.
An Amsler grid is presented to each eye separately. Scores below 75% indicate that there was some distortion or break in the Amsler grid.
‘Vutest’ tests to a 6/9 (20/30) threshold. Scores below 75% indicate that 3 or more 6/9 letters were incorrectly identified. Right and left eyes are tested separately by manual occlusion of the non-tested eye. The two eyes are dissociated horizontally and then vertically, perception of a double after-image indicating retinal slip requiring binocular vision assessment. Phoria scores below 75%, indicate a possibility of dissociation.
- Fully accredited optometric tests comprehensively analyse all the visual functions required for VDU work.
- The pass or failure rate is a fixed factor, unvarying and locked into the intellectual property of the software.
- This avoids the variations in results found with different practitioners, consulting room conditions and different clinical techniques and judgments.
- All tests and characters used are infinitely randomised for every subject tested thereby preventing learning or passing on test results.
- An on-screen and print-out result and advice sheet automatically concludes each test indicating pass or failure result. An optometric analysis of failed tests is also provided to be presented to the subject’s optometrist for a full eye examination. Both sheets can be printed.
- Because Vutest screening for VDU operators uses their own computer at their own workstation it provides the exact test conditions for lighting, posture and screen characteristics and range in everyday use. The result is a unique, customised vision assessment for each individual.
- Being fully in control of the test employees feel more comfortable checking their own vision and more confident with the result. They also like to be free of being judged by an observer as in a conventional eye test.
- Results are securely stored in the company database and can be accessed by the company for statistical purposes and staff reviews.
- When tests are running low the system prompts the re-purchase of further batches of tests.
- Evidence of the past 25 years of Vutest shows that staff are very happy using an online sight screening office based system.
- Employees do not leave their desk or the building to access a sight testing service. This saves a minimum of half an hour travel plus half an hour testing time away from work.
- Advice about sight performance is totally unbiased and based on acknowledged levels of compensated and comfortable sight to enable efficient and productive VDU work. Vutest does not prescribe or sell glasses and has no vested interest in the results it produces.
- Rate of work improves significantly when employee’s eyesight is optimised and the tests provide a simple and fast method to assess employees’ visual competence and maximise their performance.
- Vutest takes only 5 minutes to complete and generally causes little or no strain, especially for staff with adequate, normal eyesight.
- Computer driven sight tests have been in use since 1992 and Vutest was the first system available. During these years a consistent pass rate of approximately 70% has reduced the cost of the staff sight test commitment of many firms by a very significant degree.
- Vutest vision screening charges are much lower than regular eye examination fees. Registration and renewal are available online and support from EyeLab is always available.
- ‘Vutest’ is a quick, inexpensive and efficient way to detect warning signs of unwelcome changes.
- Tests are purchased in advance. At any time company users are able to download a password protected database file of all their employees’ test results. Please note that individual users choosing the ‘Start Personal Vutest’ option are exempt VAT.